Friday, August 28, 2015

Diy Wood Display Easel

So I am back at markets in the Twin Cities area, but need, desperately, a display-stand-something-ruther to post my products and prices. Instead of winging it, like I normally do, I am going to follow the directions. Yay for directions! Love the style, compliments of Gail, Craft Show Display Easel. Ready to see how I did?

Supplies:
4    1x2x4's;
3    1/4 wing nuts;
3     2 1/2 in X 1/4 in bolts

                                                              
Tools
Safety Glasses
Clamps
Pencil
Tape measure
Cutting tool (I used a Circular Saw)
Drill
Ruler
Sand Paper
Sanding Block
Optional: A husband with experience in wood crafting 
Required: Patience (both you and your husband need this)



Step 1) My poster is 11 1/2 (width) x 17 1/2 (height) and I want the easel to hold it and have some leg room of about 4 inches. Measure and mark your board to desired length. I picked 21 inches long, using a ruler I made a straight line - for cutting them.

Step 2) Cut with safety!



Finished with the first cut! Only three more to go... still got 10 fingers (and a patient husband).




Step 3 ) Using a ruler line up your boards to the angle you want for you easel legs. You are going to cut the outside boards to create your angles




Placing your rule on the center board you can draw a line like this on the outer board to create your angle. Then off to the saw and make your cuts.

Remember: measure twice, cut once! Or in my case, measure, measure, measure, measure.... cut.


    





Step 4 ) Place your pieces together to mark where your bolt will be. Flip the pieces onto the sides where you will be drilling. Continue the pencil lines around to mark where your center is on each board. Using clamps to hold your boards steady, drill your holes straight through the center piece. Drill at an angle on both side boards.



TIP: If you aren't engineer-minded, like me, as for help! If you live in a neighborhood like mine there are always garage doors open, and friendly neighbors working on their own projects. Since this one is quick and fairly easy anyone who owns a saw should be able to help you turn your vision into a real wooden piece of art.


    

Step 5) Using your bolt and wing nut put your easel together. Then mark and cut off ends that are too long to make all of the edges fit together nicely and so the legs sit flat on the table.

Step 6 ) Sand all of you pieces to get them smooth. Its always best to sand with the grain of the wood (as opposed to against the grain).

 


Step 7) For this last part you'll want to wear gloves, staining!



Step 8) Let all pieces dry well, then assemble your easel!

Finished and ready for the next Craft Show! Note there aren't any prices. I will be laminating my board so I can write in marker the prices - ooh ahh. I know. Versatility. Check out my Etsy store for prices and products right now.
Hoping your hot summer day is full of comfort!

                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment