Friday, October 9, 2015

Crochet Hook Case


The 'old bag'

This project is a necessity for any one that uses crochet hooks.
All you need is: scraps of fabric, a button, some gold braid cord, and an old case to use for the pattern-making part.

I wanted to make my new carrying case slightly larger than the last  but without the zipper. I used 2 colors of material, inside and interfacing 



These are the cuts I made:



2    10 x 17 inch rectangles, one out of each color fabric 
1    5 x 14 inch rectangle, out of your inside color for the pocket to hold my hooks  
2    5 x 2 inch pieces, one out of your inside color and one out of the interfacing
2    3 x 2  inch pieces, one out of your inside color and one out of interfacing (these will be use for  holding markers and needles)
2 more rectangles out of interfacing 
        1   10 x 4 inches
        1   10 x 14 inches
2    5 x 2 inch pieces, one out of your inside color and one out of interfacing
2    3 x 2  inch  piece, one out of your inside color and one out of interfacing (these will be use for  holding markers and needles)

After all your pieces are cut out start by sewing the smallest pieces and work your way up. 
For your 3x2 piece you just want to hem it on all four sides, making sure you attach your interfacing.
For the 5 x 2 inch piece you’ll want to stitch it together with its interfacing.



 To turn my work right side out I use a scrap of ribbon. Just sew it in one end in the middle and tuck the ribbon in to your fold. Sew the item up and pull the ribbon through! So much easier than trying to turn some thing small right side out with like a safety pin or tweezers or the last bit of your patience you have left.

Next we will work on the hook pocket; on one of your 14 inch sides you’ll stitch a hem. This gets placed on your 10 x 17 inch inside piece. Pinning it in place, turn your inside rough edge and stitching it into place.

Now we can pin the rest of the interfacing to the back of your inside piece.

Next lay out your hooks on your now attached pocket, so as to best judge how many hook slots you’ll need and how big they need to be  you should also mark your half-way point. I place pins where I’m going to stitch. Also remember a slot for your scissors. 

Line up your out side material so both fronts are facing each other pin and stitch around the out side leaving a small opening to turn every thing right side out.  Trim all four corners and then pull through opening.

Stitch around the outside edge and at your 6 inch marks.

















 I rolled my case up, attached a button, and used gold braid as a closure. I'm looking froward to offering similar cases for sale at Three Comforts, so let me know if you want one in the comment section below!


As always, may you find comfort in this tutorial (and if not then let me do it for you!) And check out the new stuff at my Etsy shop!



No comments:

Post a Comment