Friday, October 23, 2015

Market Hat Display


These hat flower mannequin stands came about rather hastily. I didn't have time to look for a ready-made hat stand, so of course, I decided to make my own! Pinterest came up with some very nice examples, so off to the craft store I went, with a vision in mind. I ended up creating 4 stands, and honestly love them!

You will need:  
4 Large styrofoam balls
4 Wooden dowel pieces
Tin buckets
Cement (just a small bag)
Felt  
Tulle
Floral Foam 

Step 1: Cut your wooden dowels to a desired length. I chose two heights, since they are being used for display at the craft fairs I attend. 

Step 2: Make holes for the dowels in both the floral foam (cut to the size of the container your using) and the foam balls. I used a knitting needle. Be careful especially with the foam balls, you want them to stay round (patience required).

Step 3: After making sure the dowel fits in your pre made holes, use a glue gun to adhere.

Step 4: Fill tin buckets1/3 of the way with the dry cement mix. Make sure you are setting the containers to dry on a covered surface (that way if something leaks...). Add water and stir the mixture until it is no longer lumpy. Set your piece of floral foam into the bucket. Press and stick firmly. I think for some I used multiple pieces of foam. You could do the foam first and then the dowels, but let's just say the best method is yet to be tested. Let the cement set according to the instructions on the cement bag.

Step 5:  Next I used pre-cut felt pieces but I would suggest finding sheets that fit your styrofoam balls much better than what I had. I stretched the foam by wetting it and using a steam iron. Then I pinned the felt to the foam balls. I used tulle of matching color to wrap over the foam balls.

Step 6: I cut pieces of green blanket binding (because I just happened to have some lying around, waiting for this exact project to be used). I used the fabric to cover the green floral foam at the base, using a hot glue gun to secure it in place. No, I cannot feel my fingers anymore and I am sure if they ever tried to fingerprint me they would fail.

Step 7: Dressing my flower heads. I am using them now for my crochet hats, which can be bought here, hurry though they go quick! Or contact me for a custom order and make yours one-of-a-kind!

Find the original inspiration here and here and as always, may you find comfort in your hats!

No comments:

Post a Comment