Friday, July 31, 2015

Printing on Fabric with Bleach



Printing on fabric with bleach or acid solutions happens to be a very old art that can be traced back as far as 2400 BC. It really emerged in modern culture after 1652 with the establishment of Cape Good Hope, South Africa. Women of Khoisan group and Voortrekkers (a word that means pioneers) clothed themselves in Indigo cloth that was floral printed. This material became known as Shweshwe which is still manufactured today.

Feeling the need to create some of my own printed material I saw this originally on Pinterest posted by Stencil Revolution and decided to tame my creativity. Usually I stray from instructions and wade my way through projects by trial and error, but since this project includes bleach I thought it couldn't hurt to go step by step. I used embroidery hoops to keep the fabric taut and crocheted the border to give it that Three Comforts flair. I think it really turned out good!






I quickly ditched the stencil, check out my examples of free handing. 

Tranquility

Harmony
Crocheted border
       

Some other versions of printing with bleach can be found at Garden Design Sun Print and Craft by Photo - Fabric Bleach Art or if you feel like you need a real challenge check out Thread Magazine's cedar boughs fabric bleaching.
Not for the novice!


May you find comfort in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment